First-Year Students Pre-arrival Checklist
For answers to frequently asked questions, visit New Student FAQ, or call the Dean of First-Year Students Office at (845) 437-5258.
- In mid-May, the Office of Admission will mail a matriculation packet to you. This packet will contain paper copies of certain forms (though all forms included in the packet are available on this website as downloadable PDFs), as well as instructions for how to activate your Vassar account. You will need your login credentials to complete many of the tasks listed below.
- Set up your Vassar email. Your Vassar Username and Activation Code, as well as instructions on activating your Vassar Account are available in your status portal. (NOTE: Students who deferred their entry from last year will not have access to the status portal. Your Vassar Username is included in your mailed matriculation packet. Your activation code and instructions for activating your account are being emailed to you.) Your Vassar email account can be accessed at mail.vassar.edu or from any Google login prompt, log in with your full email address and password. Your email address will be your username followed by @vassar.edu (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information, please visit the Computing, IDs & Phones FAQ. If you have questions or require assistance, you may contact the CIS Service Desk at email@example.com or call 845-437-7224 during normal business hours.
- If you are requesting disability accommodations, you must return the Self-Identification Form to the Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity.
Deadline: June 15.
- Complete the New Student Biography Form as soon as possible. This form will require information from your parents/guardians.
Deadline: July 1.
- Schedule an appointment with your physician and complete and return the Medical Form to the Office of Health Services as soon as possible. Be sure to include ALL required signatures (student, parent/guardian, and physician).
Deadline: July 1.
- Submit a photo for your Vassar ID Card. The photo must be an accurate representation of what you currently look like. A full-color, shoulders-and-above photo is required, and hats, sunglasses, or anything obscuring your face is prohibited.
Deadline: June 30.
- Fill out your Housing Application and V-Cash Account Application. Housing application will be available in the beginning of June. Complete the housing form thoughtfully and honestly so that the staff in the Residential Life Office can select the most appropriate housing arrangement and roommate for you.
Deadline: June 25.
- Give the Final Academic Transcript Form to your high school guidance or counseling office and ask that a copy of your final transcript be sent to the Vassar College Office of Admission. You must confirm with your high school that the guidance office has forwarded your final transcript to us. You will need it on file at Vassar to finalize registration for first-semester courses.
Deadline: July 15.
- Pre-registration begins on June 25. To start the pre-registration process, use The First-Year Handbook, the Vassar College Catalogue, and the First-Year Schedule of Classes to plan your course schedule for the fall semester. Pay special attention to the descriptions of the First-Year Writing Seminars in the First-Year Handbook, as you will be required to complete one of these courses during your first year. Refer to “Registration for Courses” in The First-Year Handbook for instructions on registering.
- Complete the Statement of Academic Interests worksheet. Your thoughtful answers to these questions will help the dean place you with a pre-major academic advisor with expertise in your areas of interest.
Deadline: July 20.
- Finish pre-registering for your fall semester classes.
Deadline: July 20
- Post your response and replies to two other responses on the First-Year Common Reading Moodle Site by August 27.
- Arrive for New Student Orientation on August 27, 2018.