International Students Pre‑arrival Checklist
For answers to frequently asked questions, visit International Student FAQ, or email Andrew Meade, Director of International Services, at email@example.com.
- In mid-May, the Office of Admission will mail a matriculation packet to you via FedEx. This packet will contain paper copies of certain forms (though all forms included in the packet are available on this website as downloadable PDFs) and will instruct you to activate your Vassar account. You will need your login credentials to complete many of the tasks listed below.
- Set up your Vassar Email. Your Vassar Username and Activation Code, along with instructions on how to activate your Vassar account, are available in your status portal. Your Vassar email account can be accessed at mail.vassar.edu or any Google login prompt. Log in with your full email address and password. Your email address will be your username followed by @vassar.edu (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org.) For more information, please visit the Computing, IDs & Phones FAQ. If you have questions or require assistance, you may contact the CIS Service Desk at email@example.com.
- First-year non-citizen international students: Submit at your earliest convenience your Set up your Vassar Email. Your Vassar email account can be accessed at mail.vassar.edu or any Google login prompt. Log in with your full email address and password. Your email address will be your username followed by @vassar.edu (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org.) For more information, please visit the Computing, IDs & Phones FAQ.
- First-year non-citizen international students: Submit at your earliest convenience your I-20 Request Form to the Office of International Services. (Exchange students and language fellows: You will not be submitting an I-20 Request Form.)
- Deadline: May 31.
- If you are requesting disability accommodations, you must return the Self-Identification Form to the Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity.
- Deadline: June 15.
- Obtain necessary visa and immigration documents, and as necessary make an appointment with the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Refer to the International Student FAQs for more details on immigration issues. We recommend scheduling your visa appointment on or after June 15 to allow time for the necessary documentation to reach you from Vassar.
- Complete the New Student Biography Formas soon as possible. This form will require information from your parents/guardians. Deadline: July 1.
- Submit a photo for your Vassar ID Card. The photo must be an accurate representation of what you currently look like. A full-color, shoulders-and-above photo is required, and hats, sunglasses, or anything obscuring your face is prohibited.
- Deadline: June 30.
- Fill out your Housing Application and V-Cash Account Application. Complete the housing form thoughtfully and honestly so that the staff in the Residential Life Office can select the most appropriate housing arrangement and roommate for you. Deadline: June 25.
- Schedule an appointment with your physician and complete and return the Medical Form to the Office of Health Services as soon as possible. Be sure to include ALL required signatures (student, parent/guardian, and physician). Deadline: July 1
- Give the Final Academic Transcript Form to your high school guidance or counseling office and ask that a copy of your final transcript be sent to the Vassar College Office of Admission. You must confirm with your high school that the guidance office has forwarded your final transcript to us. You will need it on file at Vassar to finalize registration for first-semester courses. Deadline: July 15.
- Pre-registration begins on June 26. To start this process, use The First-Year Handbook, the Vassar College Catalogue, and the First-Year Schedule of Classes to plan your course schedule for the fall semester. Pay special attention to the descriptions of the First-Year Writing Seminars in The First-Year Handbook because you will be required to successfully complete at least one of these courses during your first year at Vassar. Refer to “Registration for Courses” in The First-Year Handbook for instructions on registering.
- Transfer money to a bank in the U.S, and plan to bring $100-200 cash in your currency to exchange at the airport for U.S. dollars.
- Make travel reservations to arrive in the U.S. on Thursday, August 17, 2017.
- Submit the Travel Information Form to the Office of International Services (form will be emailed to you).
- Submit the International Host Program Form to the Office of International Services (form will be emailed to you).
- Complete the Statement of Academic Interests worksheet. Your thoughtful answers to these questions will help the dean place you with a pre-major academic advisor with expertise in your areas of interest. Deadline: July 21.
- Finish pre-registering for your fall semester classes. Deadline: July 21.
- Consider shipping your belongings to Vassar once you receive your Vassar College post office box number. Refer to the International Student FAQs for more information on shipping. Alternatively, you may prefer to purchase your linens through Residence Hall Linens. You will receive more information about this option over the summer from the Office of Residential Life.
- Fill out the Religious Interest Form. Whether or not you consider yourself to be religious, please fill out the form as it helps the college better serve the needs of our students.
- Download and print out this departure checklist so that you do not forget anything.
- Post your response and replies to two other responses on the First-Year Common Reading Moodle site before your departure.
Arrive at Vassar for International Students Orientation on Thursday, August 17, 2017.